#1 24.09.2018 16:52:49

Wahazar
Player

Women suffering ;)

In my opinion, Woman Suffrage should be Great Wonder, especially in team game.
This is powerful improvement, if one team is enough advanced, it will give them additional mighty power: democracy + war.
In case of Great Wonder, only one player can have it, obviously it would belong to the best team, but not the all players of such team.
It is also interesting challenge, to decide, which player should have it.

#2 24.09.2018 22:14:05

Hans_Lemurson
Player

Re: Women suffering ;)

Granting the vote for women is a nation-by-nation affair, making this an odd thing to have as a Great Wonder.  Almost as odd as the notion that simply having women voters allow a nation to wage more aggressive wars.  Civ2 was a bit weird. 

I think it was meant to represent how the women's suffrage movement was originally strongly anti-war, and that giving into their demands made them stop protesting so much.

Maybe the "Less war Unhappiness" effect and turning it into a "Great Wonder" could be justifies by representing the everlasting smugness and moral superiority of the first nation to grant Women's Suffrage.

#3 25.09.2018 22:25:09

Wahazar
Player

Re: Women suffering ;)

Hans_Lemurson wrote:

Granting the vote for women is a nation-by-nation affair, making this an odd thing to have as a Great Wonder.  Almost as odd as the notion that simply having women voters allow a nation to wage more aggressive wars.

Well, I'm discussing about realism, but about playability.
No matter how it is named, it add military power to the most powerful government systems, and in case of small wonder, all team members can have it, making whole team almighty.
In case of great wonder, only one nation can posses it, of course still leading team would get benefit from it, but restricted to only one team member.

Another idea is to add some negative effects to this wonder. Because Woman Suffrage is a symbol of democracy, egalitarianism etc, obviously slavery abolition would be also included, thus some revenues should be decreased.
I propose following effects:

[effect_womens_suffrage_penalty_gold]
type    = "Output_Penalty_Tile"
value   = 4
reqs    =
    { "type", "name", "range"
      "Building", "Women's Suffrage", "Player"
      "OutputType", "Gold", "Local"
    }

effect_womens_suffrage_penalty_shield]
type    = "Output_Penalty_Tile"
value   = 6
reqs    =
    { "type", "name", "range"
      "Building", "Women's Suffrage", "Player"
      "OutputType", "Shield", "Local"
    }

This effect would reduce revenue from silk, gold, jewels etc by 1, and shields from coal/iron mines, while roads, even with highways, or forests, would be unaffected.
It is not a notable penalty, but worth to be considered before building.

Board footer