#1 12.12.2011 04:55:15

akfaew
Administrator

Re: Poll: city_square_min_output

What this would do, is punish for building on hills. Most cities would have +1 and not +2 food when at size 1. I voted against.

#2 12.12.2011 06:54:44

kevin551
Player

I am also against. Mountains are irrelevant to me. The prime real estate is hillside.

#3 12.12.2011 07:11:44

Grendel
Player

If I am not mistaken, hills are mostly unaffected.  A hill city normally makes 2F, 1P: 1F for being a hill, 1F for acting as irrigated, 1P for minimum output.  So until you mine the hill, it is 2F only under minimum_output = 0/0/0.  When you mine it it is the same.  Only tiles affected are mtns, non-resource grasslands, swamps and jungle, the latter two always getting transformed anyway.

#4 13.12.2011 04:53:07

kevin551
Player

Grendel you are right  about hills. See http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Math_of_F … ile_output.

I will still vote against on the basis that non-resource grasslands will now not get +1 production because of the minimum whereas plains will get +1 food because of the city center irrigation effect. So in the early game plains will be much better than grassland which makes little sense too.

#5 13.12.2011 06:45:22

Grendel
Player

Also note that with min output, grasslands are a better place to build a city than resource grasslands, since you get a bonus.  The regular tile is better than the special, which is lame imho.

Plains are already a superior tile to grasslands in the early game, not for city centre, but otherwise.

Last edited by Grendel (13.12.2011 07:08:07)

#6 13.12.2011 07:35:03

canuck101
Player

Grendel wrote:

Also note that with min output, grasslands are a better place to build a city than resource grasslands, since you get a bonus.  The regular tile is better than the special, which is lame imho.

Plains are already a superior tile to grasslands in the early game, not for city centre, but otherwise.

Wouldn't the minimum production simply render the grasslands and resource grasslands to yield the exact same output when a city is built on it? Grasslands do not become better than resource grasslands, unless I understand the logic wrong.

Edit: Or are you considering taking into account the city as a whole? Where, all things equal, a city founded on the non-resource tile would indeed yield one extra production than if you founded the same city (regarding the tiles in its radius) on the resource tile.

I agree that this result is undesirable, but I think the benefits of the minimum output outweigh this one exception.

Last edited by canuck101 (13.12.2011 07:39:53)

#7 14.12.2011 06:03:59

Grendel
Player

Yeah, I meant the city as a whole.  If you had for some reason, only two places to build the city, a r. grassland and non-r. grassland, better to build it on the non-r. grassland.

No biggie, just an idea.

Board footer