#1 10.11.2017 14:59:22

wieder
Administrator

Less defense?

"I think defense is too high. Even after 9 stealth bombers, fusion battleship still takes around 8 HP loss versus a fanatic in a hill + sam battery + coastal defense. "

What should be done to it or should something be done to it?

The fanatic was a very devoted one but still smile

#2 11.11.2017 09:56:20

Kryon
Player

Re: Less defense?

Yes defense is very high in cities on hills with defensive buildings. But it gives weak nations a chance to survive longer and perhaps help their team win. If taking cities is easier, stronger nations would kill weaker nations faster and the outcome of the game will be more obvious and games will last shorter. Nevertheless I would not object if the defense bonus of the defensive buildings are reduced a bit. For example, city wall could give %75 bonus instead of %100 and so on.

#3 11.11.2017 20:41:34

cgalik
Player

Yeah I mean I have the best units in the game and a lowly fanatic or partisan is a tough cookie. smile

I could see a stalemate develop if two teams develop at same rate.

Maybe attack could be more on Fusion Fighters and Bombers and Battleship?

Fusion Howitzer?

Else I could have made nukes of course, but that was too easy. smile

#4 11.11.2017 21:51:34

wieder
Administrator

Maybe changing the city walls to 80% for LT39...?

There is always the space race victory even while no one has managed to win that way in the last ... 10 years or close to last 10 years? It was of course disabled for some time but has been there for some time now.

The following list (on that link) has the changes for LT40. Those changes however do not apply to LT39. Currently LT39 only has few minor changes and stuff has been mostly restored closer to the original values.

http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=829

If there are elements you feel would be good for a traditional game, feel free to suggest it on this thread. More complex changes are probably not going to make it to LT39 but less complex stuff might. However remember that this should remain as more traditional game smile

#5 11.11.2017 22:53:41

Corbeau
Player

cgalik wrote:

Yeah I mean I have the best units in the game and a lowly fanatic or partisan is a tough cookie. smile

Which is a perfectly reasonable and realistic thing to happen. So if that happens, you don't go for a military victory, but for the other one.

See? That's what I was talking about. You guys see this as extended chess or Warcraft. While in a game of Civilization, having a non-military ending should be perfectly valid and happened many times through history.

#6 11.11.2017 23:36:18

wieder
Administrator

On a more LT traditional game it makes sense to have the game a bit less balanced from defensive point of view. One reason why defensing was relatively efficient in LT38 was with the changes made for fundamentalism. With funda you get the trade bonus and can build riflemen quality defending units (fanatics) really fast. The drawback is that yo can't really do science... But defending will be easy at least until the enemy will have good enough weapons.

Going from 100% to 80% is a big change.

If I remember correctly the city walls were originally 200% on LT30 and that was really something.

#7 13.11.2017 21:12:08

cgalik
Player

Corbeau wrote:
cgalik wrote:

Which is a perfectly reasonable and realistic thing to happen. So if that happens, you don't go for a military victory, but for the other one.

See? That's what I was talking about. You guys see this as extended chess or Warcraft. While in a game of Civilization, having a non-military ending should be perfectly valid and happened many times through history.

Totally right, Corbeau. Yeah I forget that this thing could end in space victory because it hasn't happened in so long. smile

Board footer