#1 29.07.2017 12:23:59

wieder
Administrator

Any changes you would like to see for a more traditional game?

In more traditional games it's all about winning and becoming super powerful. Are there any changes you would like to see making that to happen? If you don't have ideas for specific units, you can also suggest stuff like more/less powerful navy, better mounted units or maybe something that would make some other action more easy or maybe harder to perform.

#2 29.07.2017 12:47:31

Sketlux
Player

Re: Any changes you would like to see for a more traditional game?

Zeppelins! Or too fictional?

#3 04.08.2017 10:03:44

Lord_P
Player

Great idea. But what kind of unit would they be exactly?
An air unit that doesnt need to land each turn. Available earlier than Flight (Industrialisation?). unreachable from ground but v weak in defence (Basically totally obselete once fighters are available). Lots of moves and some kind of weak attack (Bombard damage only?).  So an excellent recon/exploration unit that can be used like a weaker bomber on enemy trenches but with limited Air to Air capability?

#4 04.08.2017 12:25:01

Sketlux
Player

You said it! Doesnt need to land each turn. Its better to speak of airship though, since they started already from the 1850s and technically Zeppelins are younger coming up with planes. Actually Zeppelins were quite robust in the early stages of WWI withstanding mutiple shots from enemy planes. They could even defend themself with multiple machine guns. Game changer was the introduction of inflammable bullets and they were always vulnerable to artillery. We could also talk of limited transport capability but since Im not aware of any bigger troop deployments by Zeps I would cut back on that, although in the 30s civilian people made transatlantic flights with zeppelins in bigger numbers...

To summarize it:

-Doesnt need to land eacht turn
-Available earlier than flight
-unreachable from ground with exceptions of artillery/howitzers
-lots of moves (guess there is wind in freeciv...)
-weak bombard capability
-weak against planes
-maybe random chance to get lost when flying over the deep ocean? (They quite often got lost due to weather...)
-transport capability  max for diplomats and spies? Make it only available with combustion? 

Seems all realistic to me.

Now the most important question: can you simply introduce a new unit with new grafics?

Because I have many more unit ideas like crossbowman as advancement of the archer. Tanks could be split in WWI and WWII tanks. But I woudnt necessarily make them mandatory to research. Just as a tactical advance for bulbs.

#5 04.08.2017 12:28:22

Sketlux
Player

And other thoughts I posted on the freeciv forum:

"I've always wondered if strategic bombing could be introduced since it is much more that what bombers did in WW2. Destroying homes, factories and infrastructure of cities and not to forget kill humans. I could imagine a city loosing a city structure and/or population per bombing raid but not necessarily units. Odds would depend on if there is a defender e.g. rifleman (also depending on how many) or an anti-aircraft gun structure/unit. Also introducing a tactical bomber for unit combat would close the gap between fighter (more gainst other planes) and bombers (for city destruction)."

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph … 4748#p4748

And

"In the german states scenario I used lake tiles to form rivers producing by that natural bariers between states since big rivers like the Rhine can be a real obstacle and a bridge that size to cross them is not something natural. I therefore thought of a bridge unit that could transport itself to a lake-river tile owned by the player and placed as a bridge. The details (unit or city structure; being close to a city or not) are of course debatable but I like the idea."

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9755

#6 08.08.2017 11:30:27

Lord_P
Player

You could make bridges over impassable lake tiles by creating a kind of fort that workers can build on water. They would have to be on a boat to build it, like bouys. It would also be nice if workers could build a 'Canal' improvement on land tiles that allows ships to pass through. Its fun to do this with cities, but the opportunities are limited by citymindist.
Neither should give any defence advantage, just enable movement.

#7 08.08.2017 14:16:02

Sketlux
Player

Yeah, also a topic I mentioned on the forum with pictures: 

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9755

Board footer