#1 14.11.2017 17:29:13

Corbeau
Player

Longturn propaganda - front page

Ok, so none of us is good at propaganda (for the record, I'm not good either; i vaguely know what to do, but actually suck at doing it).

However, a good start would be turning the main page at Longturn.org into a, well, front page of the whole thing. Ruight now it is gaping completely empty, and I mean literally *empty*. I'd like to ask powers-that-be to set up some kind of blog-like service (nothing too complicated) so that news/texts/announecements can be published there. Then that stuff can be shared elsewhere. There is some content that can be created and, ironically, there is nowhere for it to be placed at.

For example, the recent cgalik's LT38 review seems just like the right thing to be put there.

#2 14.11.2017 17:57:46

wieder
Administrator

Re: Longturn propaganda - front page

Maybe starting with a picture on the page? It could be a montage of Freeciv screenshots or something like that. Blog is also a good idea.

#3 14.11.2017 18:30:21

Corbeau
Player

If you want to draw people, new linkable and shareable content needs to be added constantly. Nobody who drops by here and sees a nice image will say "Oh, what a pretty picture, I think I'll stay." Instead, the response you want to produce is "Oh, something is happening here, let's check it out."

#4 14.11.2017 18:44:12

wieder
Administrator

Yeah, of course some content would be needed. The picture could be the beginning maybe.

#5 14.11.2017 18:53:57

Corbeau
Player

Dude, internet is full of Civ images. Or I can make one in three minutes. Like I made this. Not the issue here.

#6 15.11.2017 21:34:48

Corbeau
Player

One more thing. I have been taught - and eventually realised it is very true - that people respect and reward reliability, regularity and consistency, and also, sometimes, predictability. So, if we were to publish a "Longturn calender" with set dates when games are to start, we may be able to count on more players.

Now the question is, how many games per year. Looking at the archive, it seems that almost no games lasted more than 5 months, most were over in four or less. I would say it is possible to play three games as long as they are in very different stages. (The first month is basically watching the grass grow.) So, I would be bold to presume that starting one game roughly every two months would not be too much.

Basically, what we have now, two games starting on the same day, is the worst combination there is because the concentration is divided, the games will probably become more complex and more time consuming at the same time, and the paces may be similar enough that occasionally you get confused and are not sure which game you are actually playing. But that's probably a sort of backfire for not starting a game in a single year, so it may be a little glitch that won't happen again.

As for the dates, I'd propose 1st of every even month (February, April etc.) Publish this on the main page and let it stay there for every passer-by to see at a first glance, let it stick to his memory.

I think this is the way to go.

Of course, once this is published, delays are always possible and forgivable, as long as they do not go too far. If someone has been waiting for two months, five days more won't mean much.

Opinions?

(BTW, any additional thoughts on the main page getting more dynamic? Who is the admin anyway?)

#7 15.11.2017 21:59:29

wieder
Administrator

Stuff here... happens.... slowly... smile

No, really, akfaew takes care of the technical stuff and he has been quite busy lately. I will try to figure out about how to do something to the front page but it will take some time. Definitely after the next games are up and running. Hopefully this year anyway.

This year we have started LT37, LT38 and SG1. And will start LT39 and LT40. Even while it doesn't feel like it, it has been a busy year in LT terms. But yeah, there could be more games or at least starting them more often. LT39 and LT40 will probably not end at the same time and with LT40 we will have more experience about the new kind of games. The same applies to SG1.

Starting early every 2nd months sounds good. The tradition has been to launch a two team game for the summer time. This may also happen for summer 2018.

And starting two games at the same time was also needed because they have different setups and the other one is not really that much for the world domination folks.

#8 15.11.2017 22:52:48

Corbeau
Player

wieder wrote:

And starting two games at the same time was also needed because they have different setups and the other one is not really that much for the world domination folks.

Well, still, I much prefer the LT40 settings, but I would probably play LT39 if it wasn't at the same time. Since it is, things could get... schizophrenic.

I'd say that starting two games now was necessary because nothing was started two months earlier smile

#9 16.11.2017 11:19:41

wieder
Administrator

Yeah... I may also skip LT39 since that would maybe allow to me do more stuff for the new games and also to maybe finally test the web multiplayer.

The next two games will be, probably SG2 and LT41... Now with LT41 we should decide what kind of game that should be. Most likely a traditional game... But the map. Islands map might be nice for that one.

#10 25.11.2017 19:04:35

Corbeau
Player

*ping*

#11 26.11.2017 13:04:08

wieder
Administrator

Not yet. Launching LT39 and LT40 was quite a task... I guess akfaew is going to do the required changes at some point but not yet sure when.

The picture. I was thinking about some zoomed graphics and maybe something like 800*300 pixels. Just few details of some units to get you the feeling of it. Then text under it. The current layout actually has some units on a bit similar image but they are so dark that it's hard to see them. Maybe not hard but easy to miss them.

Board footer