#1 03.12.2018 13:30:59

wieder
Administrator

Naming conventions for the LT games when they are being planned

Looks like people get confused when some games are "skipped" and start later than they should according to the LT number. This has happened with LT42 and now with LT46.

For version control reason and for forum talk reasons it makes sense to have the same game naming from the start of the planning to the end of the game. That way people will always know what game are we talking about. Renaming LT46 as LT47 and LT47 as LT47 would definitely confuse everyone.

However, would it be possible that we would have a naming convention for planned games and another one for games that are played? Like the upcoming LT49 could be called LTP1 and when it's started it would be renamed LT49 if LT49 is the next game or with a bigger number if LT49 was already used for another game. The game would always have info about what was the planning code for it.

Or would this be too confusing?

#2 03.12.2018 13:48:26

Corbeau
Player

Re: Naming conventions for the LT games when they are being planned

Well, it seems that several game classes arose , sort of, by themselves. So now we have Team (LT44 and LT45), Experimental (LT40 and "LT46"), Simulation (LT42 and "LT48") and Everything Else (Everything Else).

So my proposal would be the following:

1. While still in the planning stage, the game is referred to by its class and year (because, among other things, its class may be the reason why the game is delayed in the first place

2. Once the planning, and maybe even testing phase, is done, and once everything is clear and there are no more foreseeable problems, or even on the day the game starts, it gets its LT number. Especially because the LTnumber is important mostly for historical purposes, or for the purpose of telling apart the games that are being played at the moment.

For example, the very next game planned for January would be "Classic2019/1" or simply C19/1. Once thing are clear and the game is about to start (like now, probably), the next available LT number is picked, namely, 46, so it becomes LT46.

The game currently known as "LT46" would be "Experimental2019/1" or E19/1. It starts whenever it starts and, once it is absolutely sure it will start at a designated date, give it its LT number.

So, for the duration of pre-announcements and planning, the games are not referred as LTnumber, but by their Planning Designation.

Also, not completely related to this, I'm planning to refer to LT42 as LT42-s1 ("simulation") and LT48 (if it retains that number) to LT-s2. And so on. Not really relevant for anybody, but like I said, historical and archiving purposes. For example, looking at the earlier games, it's more difficult to recall what they were really about, but if you put just a few more characters next to their name, the meaning gets a bit more clear.

#3 03.12.2018 13:54:09

Caedo
Player

I don't think that's necessary – so what if LT42 starts after LT43 has already concluded?

If there are separate names for planned and running games, there's the question of reusing planning numbers.
If planning numbers are not reused, this essentially means that each game has two unique numbers, which isn't necessarily the best thing. Now, since running numbers are in the fourties and fifties right now, whereas planning numbers would start at one, this in itself would not be too confusing; it might just seem somewhat unnecessary. However, if people try to remember it as e.g. "run = plan + 48", that'll come back to bite them whenever that order doesn't work.
If, on the other hand, planning numbers are reused, that will make tracing the rulesets' history later an incredible hassle, since the same file name (e.g. /LTP1/data/effects.ruleset) refers to different files in different revisions. As someone who's had to spend quite a bit of his time digging through version histories... don't make it more complicated than it already is.

TL;DR: Adding a separate planning number for every game – no matter whether they're unique or reused – doesn't sound like that great an idea.

What I would propse instead is either for games that will likely take a longer time to prepare to be a separate series entirely – the games that will start rather quickly get their LT# assigned, whereas long-prep games are e.g. LL#, starting at LL1 – or for the long-prep games to get planning numbers and be inserted into the LT series once their launch is in sight.

EDIT: I'll have to second Corbeau's idea – separate designations for the different game classes make sense, and counting them on a per-year basis avoids the problems I've outlined above regarding planning numbers.
Moreover, the different classes should probably be completely split – instead of just having LT, there should be e.g. LT-X for experimental games (which used to be the case, I believe), LT-T for team games and so on and so forth.

Last edited by Caedo (03.12.2018 13:58:47)

#4 03.12.2018 13:57:39

Corbeau
Player

Caedo, I have a feeling you wrote your reply before reading mine smile

EDIT: Also, about tracking ruleset histories, I was under the impression that when the designation changes, the ruleset name would also be changed? Possibly with a trace of the old one so that things remain recorded?

EDIT2: Ok, should stop making conversation through edits big_smile

Last edited by Corbeau (03.12.2018 14:01:03)

#5 03.12.2018 13:59:25

Caedo
Player

How ever could you possibly suspect such a thing? tongue

Regarding ruleset history, the final name would only be designated once the final number is decided on, which is going to be rather late in the development process, so if one wants to check the earlier changes, that'll still be under the planning name.

Last edited by Caedo (03.12.2018 14:00:56)

#6 03.12.2018 15:32:05

Corbeau
Player

Also, I guess it would be reasonable to add "LT" at the beginning of all those designations.

So, to summarize, we would not be having LT47 in January, LT46 a few months later, LT49 in the summer and LT48 in the autumn, which is pretty confusing, but instead, LTc19/1 which would eventually become LT46, LTx19/1 to become (probably) LT47, LTt19/1 for LT48, LTs19/1 for LT49-s2 (with LT42-s1 already running) and, maybe somewhere in November, LTc19/2 to become LT50.

After this, I'm pretty sure nobody will ever ask anything again and if someone even opens their mouth to ask or suggest something, everybody else will beat the crap out of him before he can make a sound smile

#7 03.12.2018 16:56:56

Caedo
Player

No, seriously, I think it would make sense to completely and permanently split it up into multiple series – LT-C for classic teamless/alliance, LT-T for team, LT-X for experimental, possibly some others for games without allied victory or Corbeau's simulation series. Have LT45 be the last of the regular LT series, turn LT46 into LT-X1, LT47 into LT-R1 etc.

#8 03.12.2018 21:38:55

Wahazar
Player

I see no sense to make mess with current naming convention, number denote order of initial advertisement, why to change it here and on discord channels or github directiories, ruleset names etc?
However some suffix can be added, to easily distinguish between team, experimental or FFA game, and between ranked and unranked games, for example LT42XU, LT45TR, LT47AR etc.

#9 06.12.2018 01:13:23

jwrober
Player

I am not sure it really matters that LT42 started after 43, 44 and 45. That being said, I do like Corbeau's idea of going with game style in the name with a year and period included.

C for classic, E for experimental, T for team and S for simulation and then a two digit year and one digit identifier.

C19-1 = First Classic game of 2019
S19-2 = Second simulation of 2019
T19-1 = First team game of 2019

Don't rename to an LT#, keep them named as such. What is nice about this is if gives a nice sequence to the game IDs and you know natively when they happened.  Like right now I have no idea when LT30 happened.

The port the game runs on is really irrelevant. We publish that information on the game page anyways so when folks ask we can point them there.

#10 06.12.2018 11:42:15

Corbeau
Player

Well, I'd like to keep LT(number) simply for tradition. So that we always know how many were played from the beginning and so that the veterans can say "my first game was..."

Besides, it's information. it's allowed to be redundant wink

#11 07.12.2018 08:13:05

Caedo
Player

Corbeau wrote:

Besides, it's information. it's allowed to be redundant wink

Hoo boy, and now we know for sure that Corbeau isn't a software engineer. Redundant information is a pain to work with, because when there's redundant information, there's the possibility that two different data sets contradict each other, and then we've got a veritable shit-show.

#12 07.12.2018 08:38:39

Corbeau
Player

Y'know... There are "guidelines" and there is "religion"...

#13 08.12.2018 02:21:53

jwrober
Player

Corbeau wrote:

Well, I'd like to keep LT(number) simply for tradition. So that we always know how many were played from the beginning and so that the veterans can say "my first game was...")

I can as easily state that my first game was C19-1 in the same way i could say that my first game was LT43. In this case I would be a veteran. I can still say, hey look my first game was the most awesome LT43 to a noob player who's first game was C19-3 or whatever. We can have a sticky message on the forum or something on the main website stating that as of xxyy date we moved from raw LT#s to a game type+date format.

#14 08.12.2018 11:46:14

Corbeau
Player

Well, I, for one, will continue calling games LT(number)(added info) because it's more convenient for me, and I like it. Everybody else is free to call them whatever they want, including Paul, Mary and Sue.

Board footer